A New Season Awaits

A New Season Awaits

Where is the time going?


The autumn equinox occurred on 23 September 2026 here in the UK, marking the beginning of autumn and the end of the “nice” British weather. To be fair, we have had an unusually good summer, with plenty of sunshine and very little rain. The lack of rain can be a concern, though, as it means hosepipe bans, lower reservoirs and reduced crops. Luckily, where I live, that's not too much of a concern. Got to love the North East weather!

With autumn coming, it means darker mornings and evenings, which can put people in a downward mood. Myself included.

Though there are things to enjoy about the new season. The changing colours of the leaves, with their hues of warm colours; the cosy nights in with loved ones; Harvest Festival; Halloween; kicking and walking on fresh, crispy fallen leaves. There's so much to enjoy about these darker couple of seasons.
But how did we get here so soon? It only seems like yesterday I was taking Cooper out for his usual walk at the start of spring, as mentioned here.

That's where this haiku came from:

Shorter days coming
Hues of red and gold ahead
Where has the time gone?

I was driving to work and noticed — like, really noticed — how dark it was at 6am. Working shifts, especially day and night shifts, really does mess with our perception of time. Days blur into one, weeks pass without you noticing, and before we know it... BAM, summer has gone, and we are waiting for those hues of red and gold before the leaves fall.

Where has the time gone?

With the changing season comes the realisation that I will probably spend a lot of time in the darkness due to the times I start and finish work. So, on my days off, I should spend time outside in the light as much as possible. Still taking Cooper for those walks, hopefully getting to crunch and kick those fresh, falling leaves from the trees. A warm coat shielding me from the chill and the enjoyment of getting caught out in the rain on the odd occasion.

As dark and miserable as autumn and winter can be, autumn is my favourite season. I love the colours, the cooler temperatures, and those times we can snuggle with our loved ones under a blanket, watching movies or TV shows to help us escape the dreariness outside for a short period of time.

It's those small moments we should treasure, not just the big ones. These small moments of realisation, of noticing the little changes and the passing of time, help keep us grounded.

What have you noticed recently with the passing of time and the changing of the seasons? I hope they are happy ones, or small, quiet ones that put a little perspective in your life.

Watercolour-style illustration of an autumn tree with red and orange leaves, with several leaves falling around it against a warm cream background.



Popular posts from this blog

Heartbeat racing now