Heartbeat racing now
Heartbeat racing now
Son shining, breeze pushes back
This hero retires
The 20th August 2026, 18:30... a date and time I won't forget.
Now you're probably wondering why. That's a very good question, and I promise I'll get back to why. Just humour me for a moment...
It's nearing the end of the kids' summer holiday from school. It's pre-season for Max's football team, and the lads have been training throughout the six weeks off, having the odd friendly and taking part in a tournament (the less we say about the tournament, the better).
The lads have been working hard on their fitness, game tactics and formations. Having been part of the coaching team, it's been great watching them grow, especially Max.
It's also a privilege to help shape these young kids' lives. To help them not only on their football journey, but also as they develop into young men. Learning resilience, patience, teamwork, how to win graciously and how to lose.
Now, Thursday's training session. The lads had done the fitness work, the drills, and it was time for a match. One team was deliberately overloaded to work on passing and movement, while the underloaded side had to communicate and learn how to deal with the pressure.
Then, to my surprise, all three of us coaches were drafted into the game. I wasn't expecting that.
I was wearing my coach's T-shirt, but had jeans and regular trainers on. Not exactly football-match ready.
To add to the fun, I was placed on the opposite side to Max.
I had to defend against my own.
This is where I learnt a very humbling truth.
Trying to defend against Max, I found myself way out of my depth.
Max ran rings around me.
He's so good now, and I simply couldn't keep up. Never mind outskill him.
And honestly? I love how good he is.
Playing against him really showed me just how far he's come.
Now, I'm not saying I'm the greatest or fittest footballer. Far from it. But seeing how far Max has come, and realising that he's surpassed me, filled me with pride... and an uneasy realisation.
The day has come where I have to try and win against Max.
Gone are the days when I would let him win.
The days when I was the better footballer. The days when he looked up to me as his footballing hero.
Now, I'm no longer the hero he looks up to.
And that's okay.
Because maybe being his hero was never about being better than him.
Maybe it was about helping him become better than me.
So, 20th August 2026, 18:30.
The day I realised my son had surpassed me.
And I couldn't be prouder.
