Slow moments passing

Slow moments passing
Sunlight, sunset, darkness comes
Duties for family

Tonight is the first of two night shifts, and the hours already feel like they are moving slowly.

Some shifts pass without much thought. Others seem to stretch themselves out, each hour taking longer than it should. This feels like one of those nights.

Because of family commitments earlier in the day, I saw the daylight, grabbed a short nap where I could, then watched the sunset fade into darkness before coming in to work. It can feel strange living through so many parts of a day, only to start work when most people are winding down.

Shift patterns have a way of blurring time. Some weeks I’m not always sure what day it is without stopping to think. Days merge into nights, routines move around, and the body is often asked to keep up whether it wants to or not.

If I’m honest, I wish I didn’t have to work night shifts anymore.

There is a cost to it. Time missed with my wife and children. Family activities I can’t always join. Events that happen while I’m working, sleeping, or trying to recover enough energy for the next shift.

But there is also purpose in it.

I do it to help provide a good life for my family. To keep things moving. To carry my share of the weight that comes with family life and responsibility.

Tonight I feel tired. The hours feel slow. The body would rather be elsewhere.

But I keep going regardless.

Sometimes that is what duty looks like—not grand gestures or big moments, just quietly showing up when you would rather not, because the people you love matter more than your comfort.

Minimal landscape at dusk with a crescent moon, fading sunset sky, and lone tree in silhouette. Haiku text reflects slow passing time, family duty, and working night shifts.

Popular posts from this blog

Heartbeat racing now