Sea waves catch sunlight

Sea waves catch sunlight
Sand golden and stretching wide
Childhood memories


I had a bit of time to spare, so I pulled up at Church Point, looking out over the bay.
The sky was mostly clear, just the odd white cloud drifting by. There was a light sea breeze coming in — not cold, just enough to remind you where you are.

It’s a place I’ve been to more times than I could count growing up. Days spent on the beach with my brothers, parents, aunties, uncles, and cousins. The kind of days that felt like they went on forever.

Building sandcastles. Digging holes deep enough to bury each other in. Picnics on the sand. Ice cream never lasted long enough. Standing by the water, trying our luck with a fishing line, more for the moment than the catch.

Sitting there now, watching the water move in and out, it all started to come back. Not all at once, just little pieces drifting in, the same way the clouds were overhead.

There wasn’t much else to do in that moment. Just sit, wait for the time to pass before picking Grace up from school, and let it all settle.

It felt calm.

A small smile, without really thinking about it.

Popular posts from this blog

Heartbeat racing now