The Wind Howls
The wind howls near
Restless limbs fuel racing thoughts
Sleep eluded for hours
Sleep didn’t come easily last night.
After the family party, the house finally went quiet, but my body hadn’t caught up. I’d spent most of the evening behind the bar, serving drinks, staying switched on, being sociable — all while staying sober as the designated driver. It’s a strange kind of tiredness, the one where you’re present for everyone else but holding yourself slightly apart.
We got to bed much later than usual. I could feel it straight away — restless limbs, a mind that wouldn’t slow. The energy drink I’d had earlier to get through the night was still hanging around longer than I’d hoped, buzzing beneath the surface.
Outside, the wind howled close to the house. Inside, sleep slipped just out of reach. Hours passed in fragments rather than rest.
This haiku came from that space between exhaustion and wakefulness — when the night won’t let go, and the body keeps the score even after the noise has ended.